Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New to RC Tanks need some insight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New to RC Tanks need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Robsmith443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC Tanks need some insight

Hey all,
I've recently picked up my first rc tank. IMEX all metal tiger 1 airsoft version. So far I'm loving this tank and I'm wondering about a few things.
There doesn't seem to be much information as far as technical stuff about this tank. (or maybe I just dont know where to look)

Is it possible to use a different receiver without changing the motherboard?
What kind of current can the ESCs push?
Are there any known weak spots I should look at?
Are there metal upper hulls available for these?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM
2SSHoffner

Not possible to use another Conot roller without changing the MB.

Not sure on that one.

Just the way the top hull mounts to the lower, sometimes the lower bows but you can fix that easily.

Mato makes an upper hull, no experience with that.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Robsmith443
Hey all,
I've recently picked up my first rc tank. IMEX all metal tiger 1 airsoft version. So far I'm loving this tank and I'm wondering about a few things.
There doesn't seem to be much information as far as technical stuff about this tank. (or maybe I just dont know where to look)

Is it possible to use a different receiver without changing the motherboard?
What kind of current can the ESCs push?
Are there any known weak spots I should look at?
Are there metal upper hulls available for these?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Grats on the tank! Ok so lets try and answer a few questions...
  • You are stuck with the current TX for now, the new Taigen MB with new sounds and the ability to use a hobby grade transmitter will be available soon, the new PIV is scheduled to be the first to release with it.
  • The ESCs in the stock MB push around 10A max. This will depend on setup, terrain, and also other functions used with it but the Tiger 1 metal pulls around 2A per track (just a hair less) with no load other than the track itself. The ball bearing gearboxes and the 4:1 will reduce the current drain a lot btw.
  • The Tiger 1 is a pretty good all around tank, the gearboxes are always the first I upgrade on any tank. The next thing will be to check the idler wheels and see if they are the V2 version, the newer V2 editions of the idler wheels are screwed together and will survive a lot more torture before separating.
  • No metal upper hull is currently available from us
If you just got your tank from us (IMEX/Taigen) direct then your airsoft Tiger 1 will already have the newest gearboxes and the V2 idlers and even our 360 degree rotation kit. We do offer an airsoft barrel recoil upgrade as well for the Tiger 1, but it does require paint so please note that. Other than those tidbits this guy should be ready to get outside and tear it up now
Old 01-20-2017, 02:47 PM
RCfans2016

You can add the TK22 board and transmitter. This may cost $150. I can not sure if the metal upper hull from Mato will fix your tank or not. It may cost another $150. If you were looking for a real all metal Tiger with hobby level electronics. You should get the Mato Tiger. However, you can upgrade your Imex tiger. I think other tankers will give you some helpful suggestions soon.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by RCfans2016
You can add the TK22 board and transmitter.
Just a quick clarification here, you don't really "add" the TK22, you replace the stock MFU with the TK22 or TK60. If you want to upgrade to hobby grade electronics there are many options, and here are just two, the IBU2 and the Asp. The tank that moves has an IBU2 and the sound effects (voice and music) are provided by the stationary tank, which has an Asp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3TMYh25PW0 Both tanks in this video are Imex/Taigen full metal Tigers.

Last edited by Crius; 01-20-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Robsmith443

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Grats on the tank! Ok so lets try and answer a few questions...
  • You are stuck with the current TX for now, the new Taigen MB with new sounds and the ability to use a hobby grade transmitter will be available soon, the new PIV is scheduled to be the first to release with it.
  • The ESCs in the stock MB push around 10A max. This will depend on setup, terrain, and also other functions used with it but the Tiger 1 metal pulls around 2A per track (just a hair less) with no load other than the track itself. The ball bearing gearboxes and the 4:1 will reduce the current drain a lot btw.
  • The Tiger 1 is a pretty good all around tank, the gearboxes are always the first I upgrade on any tank. The next thing will be to check the idler wheels and see if they are the V2 version, the newer V2 editions of the idler wheels are screwed together and will survive a lot more torture before separating.
  • No metal upper hull is currently available from us
If you just got your tank from us (IMEX/Taigen) direct then your airsoft Tiger 1 will already have the newest gearboxes and the V2 idlers and even our 360 degree rotation kit. We do offer an airsoft barrel recoil upgrade as well for the Tiger 1, but it does require paint so please note that. Other than those tidbits this guy should be ready to get outside and tear it up now
I bought this at my LHS so I don't know how old it is. It does have 360 rotation.
Does this tank have some kind of slipper in the transmission? If so, is it adjustable? If no, I must have broken something.
Another thought, 2A at no load on a 5A esc is probably safe to say that, given the weight, it's pretty maxed out under full load in grass or sand etc..does the MB have a thermal cutout? The tank shut down twice today, separate batteries, running full speed for a while. if there were thermal protection built in the control board, I'd have expected it to shut down the way it did. Neither battery was discharged past 8v.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm really curious about your new board. I think I've read somewhere that the sounds could be changed by the user. Is that right? And do you know roughly when can we buy it and how much it will be?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:48 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Robsmith443
I bought this at my LHS so I don't know how old it is. It does have 360 rotation.
Does this tank have some kind of slipper in the transmission? If so, is it adjustable? If no, I must have broken something.
Another thought, 2A at no load on a 5A esc is probably safe to say that, given the weight, it's pretty maxed out under full load in grass or sand etc..does the MB have a thermal cutout? The tank shut down twice today, separate batteries, running full speed for a while. if there were thermal protection built in the control board, I'd have expected it to shut down the way it did. Neither battery was discharged past 8v.
No, the gearboxes do not have a slipper. Go ahead and send me an email to [email protected] and let me know what you are experiencing, I'll see what I can do. Monday is super busy for me so I might be a bit slow in responding. I actually post here on my breaks on Mondays The tank does have a low voltage cutoff though, if your batteries are getting a bit weak and you doing something like firing the cannon and the voltage hits 6V the tank will shut off. For some NIMH batteries this can be a bit current drain.
Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
[/LIST]
I'm really curious about your new board. I think I've read somewhere that the sounds could be changed by the user. Is that right? And do you know roughly when can we buy it and how much it will be?
Yea it is taking a bit longer than we expected but I am very picky and am trying to make sure everything is 100% before launch. As for different sounds it will be changeable yes. Taigen now has a sound card that will be separate from the motherboard that will be easy to change out to a soundset of your choice.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 AM
Robsmith443

I'll most likely be buying that new board when it releases. Need extra channels!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:16 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea it is taking a bit longer than we expected but I am very picky and am trying to make sure everything is 100% before launch. As for different sounds it will be changeable yes. Taigen now has a sound card that will be separate from the motherboard that will be easy to change out to a soundset of your choice.

Good news indeed. Is the intent to have this in every new Taigen release?. A lot of people will be very happy to be able to buy a tank and be satisfied with the radio and the sound it makes. No more third party stuff to mess around with.

Cheers

Dan
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by YHR
Good news indeed. Is the intent to have this in every new Taigen release?. A lot of people will be very happy to be able to buy a tank and be satisfied with the radio and the sound it makes. No more third party stuff to mess around with.

Cheers

Dan
Yes it is the plan. Most likely the new PIV will be the first to have this included upon release. The boards are simple plug and play, swapping would take less than 20 seconds. The sounds are all new of course and would allow us to make new sounds or even update sounds easier than making all in one boards. Hopefully we will get this working on the Open Panzer TCB as well, that would provide a cheap audio solution for that board. The additional option of using your own TX is a nice plus as well, I'm looking into a way to run a servo elevation system with the stock setup but this may require a bit of programming on the TX. I'll release what I find when I release a bit more info on the system. I can say the audio board is 42x26mm in the case atm I kind of like it separate, I like individual components myself as they are always easier to replace and fix.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Put me down for a Panzer IV. I was already leaning that way, but the new board clinches it. And can you tell us more about the new Panzer IV IR version? What kind of recoil will it have? Anything new there, or expected new in the future? Any chance of getting slip rings with extra wires to upgrade for the LEDs on the apple, or will Taigen have an option for that?
Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Runaway Fast as you can. all who enter here are lost.