Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Resistors on motors

Old 10-21-2016, 06:36 AM
superrod
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistors on motors

I just swapped out the gear boxes with Taigen V2 in my ZTZ99 with a Taigen radio setup and one motor would not run. Put the meter on it to test for voltage and it will run just fine. Looks like it needs a resistor across the poles for the controller to work. Has any had to do this and if so what resistor did you use?
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Capacitors.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 AM
superrod

So what would you use? 20pf work? Would you wire them pole to pole or pole to case? Looks like HL wires them pole to case.
Jimmy
Old 10-21-2016, 08:21 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

What motor controller are you using? The Taigen motherboard will drive the motors no matter filtering is on there, I just tested with caps (pre V2), the V2 motors (board with filtering built in on the end of the motor), and also a 380 motor without any filtering and it drives them correctly. Which motor are you using?
Old 10-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Most caps I've seen are marked with the number 104.

Most 380's to 400's are internally capped, but some have both as the external ones have one soldered to the power lead the other to the can's outershell.

To check if already capped, look inside the vent holes on the brush side of the motor.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2016, 09:18 AM
superrod

Eric it is the gearboxes I just got from you. The motherboard is a 2.4 taigen that came in the tank. It drives one side just fine but not the other. It is something to do with the board or the anti track recoil unit that is on it. It will work just fine as long as the resistance of the volt meter is on the circuit. It was late last night when I was testing and will look into it further after work today. This issue may go back to when I thought I had a gear box issue as the tank was under powered on one side. I'll start with plugging the motors directly in to the control board.
Jimmy
Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by superrod
Eric it is the gearboxes I just got from you. The motherboard is a 2.4 taigen that came in the tank. It drives one side just fine but not the other. It is something to do with the board or the anti track recoil unit that is on it. It will work just fine as long as the resistance of the volt meter is on the circuit. It was late last night when I was testing and will look into it further after work today. This issue may go back to when I thought I had a gear box issue as the tank was under powered on one side. I'll start with plugging the motors directly in to the control board.
Jimmy
Yea I would first try to diagnose without the ATRC. The new V2 motors from us already have caps on them (SMD type) and the purpose of the caps is really for RF noise. It shouldn't effect the operation of the tank itself. Keep me updated please!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 PM
superrod

Well got it figured out. What I found was a cold solder joint on the black wire on the motor. It was soldered to the end plate ok but not at all to the tap going into the motor. What was happening is when I tested the voltage it was completing the circuit. Will fix it in the morning. Could not find my solder.
Jimmy