Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

world engines Robinhood

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

world engines Robinhood

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 PM
MARK JR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default world engines Robinhood

Hey guys, Do you still fly the Robinhood plane? Is it a good gasser for biggeners?
Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 PM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

There are still some Robinhoods out there. I saw one at a fun fly a coupe of years ago. I think they came in a couple of versions with an 80 and perhaps a 90 inch wing. I wouldn't call it a trainer since it is a taildragger but otherwise they were pretty docile flyers. If I remember correctly they were packaged with a Maloney engine. The engine was no earth shaker but the plane would work with any appropriately sized engine and as such would be a good plane if you are transitioning into gasoline engines.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:30 PM
RagwingFan
My Feedback: (31)

Agree with above, good docile flyer. Large wing lot of lift. Old school G-38 or Q-42 are great match for engine. Will need coordinate rudder with aileron.

I had one years back and in middle of build right now.

If interested it's on RCGroups. I made the wing in 3 piece with typical wing tube and socket. Originally plane has huge one piece 99" wing.

Good luck if you pick one up.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:01 PM
MARK JR

Hi guys, is the Robinhood a trainer?
Old 10-16-2016, 04:47 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MARK JR
Hi guys, is the Robinhood a trainer?
Not really.

Why don't you build a trainer ? You seem to be hung up on gassers. I suggest that you build a glow trainer, such as a Goldberg Eagle II, or Sig LT-40. They would teach you how to build and fly. From there, you could gradually work your way up to a gasser, like the Robinhood.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:36 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Building off of what Tom C said, whether or not the Robinhood is a good plane for you depends on where you are and where you want to go. If you have a good instructor, almost any plane can be a trainer. I got my first successful stick time buddy boxing on a Kaos pattern plane but if you are considering buying a plane then buy something to will work with your goals. I can understand falling in love with a particular plane but consider the goal. If you are learning to fly and this will be your first airplane then there are more suitable airplanes out there. My take on your initial post is that you have been flying and were looking for your first gasoline powered plane. If you have some flight time under your belt then transitioning to a tail dragger is a next step in building your skills. In this regard the Robinhood is would be okay.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

I've got an 80" one I'm going to build this winter just for a knock around. Have had all 3 versions over the yrs. They are a lot of fun and look good in the air.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

As I recall, they were 4 versions. Originally a 47" design, them 63" , then the 80" and 99" versions. I have had the 63, 80 and 99" versions. I still have the 80" one.
Built in 1989, still flying strong. One of my favorites. OS 1.60 twin, original engine. Several radios.. Covered in Solartex..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140327_0011_NEW.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2186884  
Old 10-22-2016, 01:58 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

You ask if it's a good gasser. The answer , yes. But, it is lightly built, so you can't go over board, and some front reinforcement would be desirable. The wing also, NEEDS the struts as designed..

You ask if it's a good trainer.. That depends on what you are actually asking. If you want a fly it right out of the box, no help, very first airplane trainer. Then NO
If you have some experienced help to set it up for training, a helper to buddy box you, then yes it could be used for training..

The airplane was designed as a sport flyer.. It can be very agile and very fun to fly.
sp
Old 10-22-2016, 04:06 AM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Steve is right on with it.