Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to R/C Trucks - any and ALL advise welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:58 AM
RDscuba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to R/C Trucks - any and ALL advise welcome!

New to R/C trucks. Have been into R/C Heli for many years (recently drones too). Just purchased two entry level Traxxas 1/10 Stampede XL-5 TQ 2WD to get my feet wet. One reason for the purchase is that my 7 year old is very interested in my Drone flying, always wanting to help and learn. I cant really turn her loose with at $1.5k Drone... so I think this is where we will start.

I have scoured this forum and others. From what I gather a few "necessary" upgrades would be as follows:

- bushings to bearings (done)
- wheelie bar (done)
- large front bumper (done)

I also have a shopping cart full at Tower with the following:

- VM RPM Wide Front A-Arms Black Rustler/Stampede
- RPM Screw Kit For Wide Front A-Arms Rustler/Stampede
- Traxxas Turnbuckles Camber Link 49mm
- Traxxas Turnbuckles 94mm T-Maxx (2)
- Traxxas Talon 2.8" Front Tires On All-Star Stampede (2)
- RPM Rear A-Arms Black Electric Rustler/Stampede (2)
- ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Caster Block
- Traxxas Aluminum Shock Caps

So, for stability I am pretty sure I want to get longer A-Arms on the front (and back??). Above I list the RPM brand. Are there other brands that might be better and/or wider than the RPM? How wide is too wide? My goal is to try to keep the Stampede on its wheels a little more than its top when turning and such.

Also, I have been looking at the FLM Extended Chassis and the FLM 1/8 Super Chassis. What difference does 25.4 mm or 50.8 mm make? Any reason to chose one over the other? I assume (sorry) that either chassis will work with the stock motor/tranny and other such hardware?

So, admitting that I have a lot to learn - please let me know your thoughts, tips and tricks that only someone with experience would know.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RDscuba
...So, for stability I am pretty sure I want to get longer A-Arms on the front (and back??)...

The only thing I would check into is using front wheels for use on the rear arms to equal out the width. I don't know if the Stampede comes with different off-set wheels or not.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-27-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:03 AM
mrbuggy1987

you can actually use the rear arms on the front to widen it, but will require emaxx steering links, i had an old stampede with the slipper pegs and had everything possible done to it, even had a dewalt drill motor in it.Most dependable rc ive ever owned.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 AM
RDscuba

Originally Posted by RustyUs
The only thing I would check into is using front wheels for use on the rear arms to equal out the width. I don't know if the Stampede comes with different off-set wheels or not.
I think that is a good idea, the instructions for the extended A-Arms by RPM actually stipulate that I believe. Maybe that alone would help? I am just interested in increased roll stability and am interested in doing what ever (within reason) will help that issue.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 AM
RDscuba

Tore up the 48P/90T Spur Gear last night... any upgrades or aftermarket replacements I should consider?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 AM
mrbuggy1987

robinson racing is the best. but make sure and get a composite spur cuz sometimes if you use metal spur and pinion one will chew the other up if there made of different alloys
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 AM
mrbuggy1987

and if you cant eyeball is, set your pinion mesh with a piece of notebook paper and make sure the motors screws are tight, but not too tight, and as far as the suspenion mad, you can use stock rear a arms one the front, dosent have to be rpm.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 AM
RDscuba

Originally Posted by mrbuggy1987
robinson racing is the best. but make sure and get a composite spur cuz sometimes if you use metal spur and pinion one will chew the other up if there made of different alloys
Thank you. I will look for the same size in Robinson Racing.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:06 AM
RDscuba

and if you cant eyeball is, set your pinion mesh with a piece of notebook paper and make sure the motors screws are tight, but not too tight, and as far as the suspenion mad, you can use stock rear a arms one the front, dosent have to be rpm.
Thanks, I will be sure to double check these things on both of the Rustlers.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM
RDscuba

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWLL0&P=7

I assume this is the one you speak of?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 AM
RDscuba

Also, I have been advised that using a 32P spur gear (from the Slash/Stampede 4x4) is a good alternative. I don't understand as I can only find like 54 tooth 32P gears of this nature. If someone has the time to walk me through this scenario I would appreciate it. I'm a little confused about this.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXKLZ7&P=K

Last edited by RDscuba; 06-28-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 PM
RustyUs

There are a lot of vids on YouTube that show you how put on 32p gears. That 32P 54T Spur Gear is almost equal to a 48P 82T Spur gear's diameter.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-28-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: wording
Old 06-29-2016, 05:16 AM
RDscuba

Originally Posted by RustyUs
There are a lot of vids on YouTube that show you how put on 32p gears. That 32P 54T Spur Gear is almost equal to a 48P 82T Spur gear's diameter.
Thanks, I have been looking for these videos and have not had much luck. I will keep trying.

Also, to help me better understand, if I do upgrade to a 32P 54T will I need to change the Pinion Gear as well? Will it make the Stampede faster/slower - better for my rough terrain or more suited for hard surfaces only?

Again, thank you for all of the help.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:12 AM
mrbuggy1987

the purpose of the 32 pitch tooth spur is that the teeth are larger, thus less likely to strip out and take more abuse., and yes, you will need to change the pinion to 32 pitch too.It will make the gears slightly louder, but thats normal. wait till you get to hear a 1/8 e-buggy with a metal center diff gear, sound like a chainsaw, lol. But if you have the xl-5 version and keep your mesh set right, I dont see why you'd need to upgrade. I didnt ever happen to upgrade my vxl rustler and it was pushin 65+. remember its all about the mesh, and if your motor screws dont have washers under them, put some on, it will keep the screws from digging into the plastic.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:50 AM
RDscuba

the purpose of the 32 pitch tooth spur is that the teeth are larger, thus less likely to strip out and take more abuse., and yes, you will need to change the pinion to 32 pitch too.It will make the gears slightly louder, but thats normal. wait till you get to hear a 1/8 e-buggy with a metal center diff gear, sound like a chainsaw, lol. But if you have the xl-5 version and keep your mesh set right, I dont see why you'd need to upgrade. I didnt ever happen to upgrade my vxl rustler and it was pushin 65+. remember its all about the mesh, and if your motor screws dont have washers under them, put some on, it will keep the screws from digging into the plastic.
Awesome advise, thank you.

I did not check my mesh out of the box and that likely explains why it stripped out. I will get some washers on the motor screws as well.

Also - any thoughts on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Slipper-Elim...-/291572357060

Last edited by RDscuba; 06-29-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 AM
mrbuggy1987

I wouldnt do that. the slipper is the first line of defense in the drivetrain, and once you take that away, the next weakest link will likely be the driveshafts. And on a 2wd stadium truck, slippers are great cuz with higher power systems they can bear a bear to drive fast for a novice.kep the slipper and set it to where it slips for about the first 6 inches when you take off. Do it on a high traction surface, then, tune to your liking.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 AM
RDscuba

I wouldnt do that. the slipper is the first line of defense in the drivetrain, and once you take that away, the next weakest link will likely be the driveshafts. And on a 2wd stadium truck, slippers are great cuz with higher power systems they can bear a bear to drive fast for a novice.kep the slipper and set it to where it slips for about the first 6 inches when you take off. Do it on a high traction surface, then, tune to your liking.
Duly noted. Seems that removing the slipper is not a great idea, especially for someone as new to the hobby as I am. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
RDscuba

... and if your motor screws dont have washers under them, put some on, it will keep the screws from digging into the plastic.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...tra3931/p17639

Will something like this work to replace the motor screws? I need to research the right size of course but they look nice if I can find a fit.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:01 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by RDscuba
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...tra3931/p17639

Will something like this work to replace the motor screws? I need to research the right size of course but they look nice if I can find a fit.
Bingo!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:08 PM
RustyUs

How To Set Gear Mesh For Your RC Car or Truck: A Main Hobbies' RC Talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3gE3cFJVw
Old 06-29-2016, 03:21 PM
RDscuba

Nice, thanks for the video!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:18 AM
RDscuba

So, I learned last night that the "RTR" designation is a bit misleading. After great advise here and from others online I checked the slipper gear on my daughters Stampede. It was fully engaged, I could not tighten it any further. I backed it off 3/4 of a turn. That fully explains the flat spot on the spur gear.

What other settings that I assumed were "RTR" actually need to be checked? I now know gear mesh and slipper gear maintenance.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 AM
mrbuggy1987

check all screws and make sure nothing is binding, id also invest in some shock oil and change em to some 30 weight at least as manufactuers sometimes put oil as thin as water in them.Check the bulet connectors on the motor and nake sure there tight and dont slip out easily, And for future reference, go on youtube and type in brushed rc motor break in. makes em run smoother and last longer as it sets the brushes and comm.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 AM
RDscuba

Thanks for the tips, I will check those things on both truck for sure.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:42 PM
mrbuggy1987

If you have questions about the motor break in just ask. the video's should explain it very well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.