Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Datum line on Black Magic

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 05:25 AM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Datum line on Black Magic

Does anyone know the datum reference line on a Black Magic? Not sure of the version I have but it does have the carbon reinforced bulkheads. I used the canopy base and found previous owner has 2.5 neg in the stab(yikes) so I'm wondering if the canopy base is correct. Any help would be appreciated !!!

maustin
Old 05-26-2016, 09:57 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Black Magic VF3 Build Thread you might find what you are looking for here
Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or here [h=3]Black Magic v2 builder's thread! *Updated[/h]
Old 05-26-2016, 11:37 AM
maustin

Yes, I found those old threads and read till my eyes crossed LOL. There is mention of what guys are using like wing +.5 and stab -.25 but no reference as to what was used as a reference. Not going to fly this for a few weeks so maybe a lead will pop up. Looks like a bunch of these were built back in the day so hopefully someone will respond.

Thanks !!!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:59 PM
rabbid fly
My Feedback: (15)

Is there still someone selling this kit?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:48 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rabbid fly
Is there still someone selling this kit?
I think Don at RCAir offers this as a glass and foam.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:08 PM
rabbid fly
My Feedback: (15)

I see he has the cowl and canopy and what is a chun cowl? Is a set of plans available, or maybe someone could sell me a copy that would be great.
Thank you. Phil
Old 06-09-2016, 05:07 AM
maustin

Hi All, I thought I would give a final post on my salvagedBlack Magic Vf3 plane found on the RCU dumpster page last month. Funny thisplane was actually Don Ramsey’s build many years ago and probably was a beautywhen new. When I inspected the plane up close it was apparent a dead stickevent occurred and did not make it back to the runway in one piece. I startedreworking the damage at the stab which basically had to be taken out and resetalong with fixing a stripped out stab adjuster. Replaced all hardware andreinforced some fuse cracks around the wing tube. The incidences were all outof whack and were reset per best avil info on prev build threads. Afterputting everything back together and installing my YS170 the old crate weighed right at 11lbs!!!!Amazing as this plane is all paint with prob 5 lbs of epoxy used on the crashdamage. Credit to Don for such a light paint job.
Ist flight was no big deal to my surprise. Awesome infact! 2 clicks ail trim and some downtrim and she was on rails. Best axial rolling plane I’ve ever flown. Just asmidge of pull to canopy on knife edge and down lines. It just felt so lock ineven with moderate crosswind.
Moral of the story: don’t pass up an old salvage dog if thebones are solid and design if good. Now, do I do a 100% referb on her or builda new one this winter. The plane is definitely still competitive and clean withoutall the appendages sticking out to help it fly.
maustin
Old 06-21-2016, 05:09 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what i can see on the set of plans I have the datum is set by the bottom of the fuse box.

Ken
Old 07-18-2016, 06:50 AM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

The datum line was the top of the fuse sides. The top line of the upper 1/4" stringer.

If it was built correctly, the canopy base should be close, but due to sanding/fitting by the builder, it's better to use the top of the stringer if possible. Kinda hard to mess that up.

That's the same with the v2 or the VF3.

-Mike
Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 AM
maustin

Mike,
I did use the top rail on canopy base as stated above and it was very close. Only made a small wing adj and the plane is dialed in. Love the way this plane flies!!! This plane I feel very competitive still today. Thanks for all your contributions to pattern!

maustin